Protein structures -> crochet patterns

I've been working on a general method for making crochet patterns out of protein crystal structures. For example, here's a ribbon diagram of lysozyme. While the finished 3D structure would be overwhelming to tackle all at once, it's manageable to put together after making the secondary structure first.

Patterns for individual proteins as well as instructions for making your own "translations" are forthcoming.

Thanks to Sandy for teaching me the technique of working around a wire at the Fiber Arts Work Night at the Artisan's Asylum!

Comments

Brittan said…
I love how creative this idea is! Can't wait to see more of your beautiful work... I love the idea of doing a protein structure!
So inspired! Love this project!
Cascade21 said…
What a great idea! I love it!